Dealing with the aftermath of a storm can be overwhelming, especially when it comes to understanding your insurance coverage and the claims process. At TWFG – Denise Davis Insurance, we know that navigating the complexities of storm damage insurance can raise many questions and concerns. Whether you are wondering about what types of damage are covered or what steps to take immediately following a storm, here are some frequently asked questions and answers to guide you through challenging times. 

  1. I had damage to my home or cars, what do I do?  

The claims process may be extended during a catastrophic event. Take all the photos you can, then do what you can to prevent any additional damage (like putting a tarp on the roof or covering a broken window) Remember your claims adjuster will respond to review damage and decide about coverage on your policy. They are not the ones who will prevent additional damage or make repairs. Read more about this in our other Storm Damage blog here.

  1. My fence blew down during the storm. Can I file a claim? 

Just like your dwelling, damage to your fence is subject to your wind/ hail deductible. Before filing a claim, it is best to get an estimate to determine how much the repairs will cost. If the repairs are less than your deductible, it may be best to pay out of pocket and not file the claim with your insurance company.  

  1. I lost all of the food in my refrigerator and freezer. Can I file for reimbursement with my home insurance company? 

The answer is that it depends on your carrier. Some provide this reimbursement, and some do not. If you have the coverage in your policy, it typically reimburses up to $500 with a required $100 deductible. So, if you have a receipt, or receipts valued at $600 or more, you may submit a claim with your carrier if they offer reimbursement. Please call us to ask if you know if you are covered. 

If there was damage to your home, and you have loss of use coverage, you may be able to obtain reimbursement for staying in a hotel or extra food expenses.  

  1. My neighbor’s tree fell on my property and caused damage to my home, my fence, or my structure. Would my insurance cover the damage or would my neighbor’s insurance be who we contact? 

If the tree came down as a result of natural causes, like a hurricane or other storm winds, then the person with the damaged property will claim the damage on their insurance. If, however, the tree that fell originated on the property of someone who knew the tree was damaged, diseased, or dead, the fallen tree damage would be the responsibility of the property owner who owned the tree.  

  1. A tree fell on my car. Would my home or auto insurance cover the damage? 

The damage to your car always falls under your automobile policy, regardless of where it is parked at the time of the damage. Check your policy to confirm you have comprehensive coverage and what your deductible would be.  

  1. I am car shopping this weekend and a hurricane is in the Gulf (or just went through). Will I be able to get coverage if I buy a new car? 

Most carriers stop writing new business, or adding additional coverage once a tropical storm/ hurricane enters the Gulf of Mexico. When this happens, you may not be able to add or trade a vehicle on your policy until the storm has passed. Before driving off the lot in that shiny new vehicle, call your insurance agent to make sure you can cover that vehicle.  

  1. A storm caused damage to my barn or shed. Would the repairs be covered with my home insurance? 

Other detached structures on your property often do have coverage, however, most homeowners’ policies provide actual cash value coverage only. Additionally, damage to other structures also falls under your wind and hail deductible so it is best to get an estimate before filing a claim. The cost to repair may be less than your actual deductible.  

  1. An electrical pole has fallen on my property. What do I do? 

In our Houston area, report them to CenterPoint as soon as possible. It is their responsibility to make any repairs to the pole. If there is damage to your dwelling or other structures, and the repairs are more than your deductible, then you would need to file the claim on your homeowner’s policy. Like the tree conversation, if the pole came down as a result of a storm, it is your policy that will respond to the claim.  

  1. Who do I call if I think I have a claim?  

If TWFG Denise Davis helped you get your policy, we are more than happy to answer any questions, and actually recommend that you call us first! Sometimes you will find that it’s better to make repairs out of pocket, other times filing a claim is the better choice. We are happy to talk through deductibles and coverages and help you make the best decision.  

  1. How do I find a contractor?  

Find a local contractor who has good reviews and ask for proof of insurance. Keep that information on hand. Look for referrals from neighbors, check Facebook and Google Reviews or look at your local Chamber of Commerce.  

At TWFG – Denise Davis Insurance, we are committed to supporting you through every step of the claims process and ensuring you have the necessary information to protect your home and loved ones. Should you have any further questions or need personalized assistance, please contact our dedicated team. Your safety and peace of mind are our top priorities, and we are here to help you navigate the aftermath of any storm with confidence and care.  

(832) 559-1595